Some basic provisions
Whilst loading some provisions yesterday I was thinking that it’s almost 20 months that I have been ashore, but I have done a few deliveries and a couple of local trips in that time amounting to around 12,000 miles of ocean sailing and 500 or so coastal. Not bad for a land-lubber
Anyway with a float plan that includes a couple of months in the Chilean channels without visiting a major port we have to think carefully about what to load here in Stanley where food is easily available but expensive. Read more ›
Whilst preparing for the next cruise of “Morgane” a lot of thought has gone into the medical equipment and drugs to carry. This is not an easy subject to tackle for the layman, nor I suspect for a medical professional. Read more ›
So what have I been up to since the “Dodgy” update?Well we finished the dodger in early June, apart from the windows as we didn’t have any acrylic, before I headed of to Rio de Janeiro and Paula headed to Cambridge in the UK where she had a short term fellowship with the British Antarctic Survey. Read more ›
We pulled “morgane’s” rig last weekend, gave everything a once over and clean-up, replaced the wiring to the lights, installed a Furuno PB200 solid-state wind/weather instrument, installed a new Metz vhf antenna (a turkey vulture stole the old Glomar one) and installed mast steps. Read more ›
The old dodger didn’t offer much protection
Morgane’s dodger was very much old-school i.e. it protected the main hatch from the worst of the spray from ahead but offered no real protection for the crew unless you were the lucky one able to sit on the top step of the companionway. Read more ›
NOAA 19 visible light image from 7 May 2014
I have had an interest in receiving the images from the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) polar orbiting LEO (Low Earth Orbit) weather satellites for many years now. I have built several different antennas and a couple of receivers over the years and have used a couple of different, commercial, systems at sea. Read more ›
Well the rain never did let up and allow me to apply that final brushed coat of paint to the topsides that I refer to in the last blog entry!
Once the prop-shaft was back from the machinist it was simple matter to install it and hook it up to the flexible coupling on the gearbox; a final look over the hull, check the anode nuts, etc., and haul her back into her natural element.
Back into the water we go
The tender did eventually get finished and has been working well. I need to get some longer oars to make rowing easier but overall I’m very impressed, she is a very dry and stable little dinghy. Read more ›
Whilst the weather since my last update hasn’t been particularly nasty is has been cold and showery. The official records show that January was a windier, colder and drier month than the norm here in Stanley with sunshine well below the average. This made my task of painting the topsides more difficult and time consuming that I had hoped. Read more ›
I seem to have spent the last two weeks continuously covered in paint chips, paint dust, rust, epoxy dust, and paint. Such is life for a week or so once a year when you own a steel boat and put her on the hard for the annual maintenance; or in my case for a month or so while a few years of lost ground is recovered. Read more ›